Myanmar Overland Crossing

At the moment, it is only possible to border-cross between Myanmar and Thailand with e-visa. India crossing (at Moreh, Manipur State) and China crossing (at Ruili, Yunnan Province) both require to get a normal paper visa before your trip. Crossing to Bangladesh and Laos is not permitted for foreigners.

Myanmar's simple e-visa system is valid for travel through the Thai-Myanmar border points of Mae Sai/Tachileik, Mae Sot/Myawaddy and Ranong/Kawthaung.


Thailand Crossings

Four Thailand-Myanmar border points are officially open to tourists. Thailand offers visa-free for many citizens; the lengths of the stay depends on what country you are from – varying from 14 days to 3 months.

Mae Sot - Myawaddy

The Mae Sot (Thailand, Tak Province) / Myawaddy (Myanmar, Kayin State) crossing point is the most practical place to cross for onward travel into Myanmar, because of its relative proximity to the main Myanmar transport network and places of interest such as Mount Kyaiktiyo (the Golden Rock), Hpa An and Mawlamyine.

At the passport control points (located on either side of the ‘Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge’ river crossing), there are separate windows for foreigners – you do not have to stand in the same line as the locals. The border point is located about one kilometer from Myawaddy bus station on the Myanmar side and five kilometers from Mae Sot town on the Thai side; there are usually plenty of motorbike taxis on both sides.

Mae Sot has daily direct flights and frequent buses to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. On the Myanmar side, the new road over the Dawna Mountains - connecting Myawaddy to the rest of Myanmar - is now open (so you do not need to worry about the issue of the old single track road, with its alternating one-way system).


Mae Sai - Tachileik

Foreigners can cross the border between Mae Sai (Thailand, Chiang Rai Province) and Tachileik (Myanmar, Shan State) and travel as far as Kyaing Tong in Myanmar; to travel over land further than this you will need a permit. Kyaing Tong and Tachileik have airports with internal flight connecting to Mandalay, Yangon and Heho (for Inle Lake, Kalaw and Taunggyi).

Tachileik’s economy is based on cross-border trade and tourism, and Thai baht is the main currency (not Myanmar kyat). To find out more about onwards travel from Tachileik into Myanmar, go to Kyaing Tong.


Ranong - Kawthaung

The crossing between Ranong (Thailand, Ranong Province) and Kawthaung (Myanmar, Tanintharyi Region) offers options for further travel in Myanmar – buses or flights on to Myeik, Dawei and north to Yangon, plus cruises to the Myeik Archipelago.

If you are on a short stay or visa run from Thailand, you will not need a Myanmar visa, but you will need your passport and a copy of the photo page, plus US$10 in crisp notes for a border crossing permit; both Thai and Myanmar immigration office are open from approximately 7am to 5pm. You can take long tail boats between Ranong and Kawthaung, taking 20 minutes and costing around 100 Bhat. 

Note that if you are entering Myanmar only for a Myeik Archipelago tour (not for further travel) then, depending on the length of your visit, you may not need a visa - a border crossing permit may be all that is required. 




Phunaron - Htee Kee

This remote border crossing point allows access between Phunaron (Phu Nam Ron) (Thailand – nearest town Kanchanaburi) and Htee Kee (Myanmar, Tanintharyi Division – nearest town Dawei). Note that e-visa is not valid at this border crossing.

There are four buses per day from Kanchanaburi to the small border town of Phunaron where has one guest house. The Thai and Myanmar borders are separated by six kilometers of no-man’s land; there are also two separate checkpoints separated by around one kilometer. You can take a motorbike taxi or try to hitchhike between these points.

From the Myanmar side of the border, it takes five hours to get to Dawei. There are usually cars or minibuses waiting, costing around K30,000 (bear in mind that if you arrive late in the day there may be no transport, and the road can become impassable during the rainy season). Travelling from Dawei to Thailand, daily minibuses to Htee Kee can be booked through most hotels and guest houses in Dawei. 

Three Pagodas and Singkhorn

Known as the 'Three Pagodas Pass', the crossing at Sangkhla Buri (Thailand, Kanchanaburi Province) and Payathonzu (Myanmar, Kayin State) is not open to tourists.

The Singkhorn Pass is only open for Myanmar and Thai residents travelling either way for up to two days. It connects Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan (Thailand) with a very remote part Myanmar's Tanintharyi Division (nearest large town Myeik, although this would take over one day's travel).




China Crossing 

To cross the land border at Ruili (China, Yunnan Province) / Muse (Myanmar, Shan State), you will need to arrange a special tour package including a guide, hotels and mandatory private transportation. You will need to apply at least one month before your travel date. The China-Myanmar border crossing is currently totally closed for tourists.

Yangon, Mandalay and Kunming have embassies or consulates where you can apply for the relevant visa (Myanmar or Chinese). For details, go to embassies and other useful information.

It is not permitted for tourists to cross at any other China-Myanmar border points. 


India Crossing 

In the remote area, northwest of Myanmar, a crossing exists between Moreh (India, Manipur state) and Tamu (Myanmar, Sagaing Division). If you want to enter or leave Myanmar here, you will need to book a special travel package including a guide, hotels and mandatory private transportation. You will need to apply at least one month before your travel date. Although permits are required for border crossing, tourists can now travel in these parts of Sagaing Division (Myanmar) and Manipur State (India) freely.

Note that if you wish to travel overland to or from India and onwards to another destination, you could travel with your own vehicle (car or motorbike). If you are traveling on a tour, you have to enter and exit via the same border point.

It is not permitted for tourists to cross at any other India-Myanmar border points.

We offer a range of overland tours to Myanmar, but please note that we are not able to issue border crossing permits as a stand-alone item - if you book through us you must take a guided tour with set itinerary; this is mandated for tour companies by the Myanmar government and we must always ensure the safety of our clients.


Vehicular Border Crossings

Crossing into Myanmar with your own vehicle (motorhome, car or motorbike) requires special permission and you will have to be accompanied by a guide and sometimes a Ministry of Hotels and Tourism liaison officer. We have extensive experience in route planning, guiding, accommodation and logistics. We would be delighted to work with you on your overland Myanmar trip (permits typically take at least one month to process). Note that cycling groups also need permission for border crossings.